July 20, 2009
Kansas Governor Mark Parkinson has signed a proclamation recognizing August 3, 2009 as the 50th anniversary of the founding of Bunting® Magnetics Co. The signing ceremony was held at the State Capitol in Topeka, Kan.
Attending the ceremony were Bunting Magnetics Co. President Robert J. Bunting, Sr., his wife Barbara, and their daughter Molly Claassen. The proclamation highlighted the 30 years that Bunting has been headquartered in Newton, Kan., as well as the company's products.
"As we celebrate this important milestone, we would like to thank the governor for taking his time to recognize this achievement," stated Robert J. Bunting, Sr. "Also, we would like to thank our customers, supply partners and, most importantly, all of our current and past employees. Our first 50 years has been a profile in growth and innovation. Now and in the future, we are striving to keep improving and build upon the legacy that has been established throughout our company history."
On August 3, 1959, Walter and June Bunting founded Bunting Magnetics Co. in Chicago. The original location, on Chicago's north side, was a 500-square-foot office on Fullerton Avenue. The company started as a stocking distributor for cast Alnico magnets and small ceramic magnet assemblies designed for industrial use.
Now, nearly 50 years later, Bunting has established itself as a leading manufacturer of several product lines. From those humble beginnings, the company, headquartered in Newton, Kan., has expanded to seven major locations including its Flexible Die Division in Newton, its Magnet Materials Division in Elk Grove Village, Ill.; its Magnet Applications Limited (MAL) manufacturing operation in Berkhamsted, England; its Magnet Application Inc. facility in Dubois, Pa.; its purchasing office for Bunting China located in Ningbo, China; and its official licensee in Boronia Victoria, Australia, Alpha Magnetics Pty Ltd.