New versions of CAM software for plasma and oxyfuel cutting released
April 27, 2010
Hypertherm's MTC Software has unveiled new versions of its CAM nesting software. NestMaster 2010 and TurboNest 2010 contain functionality designed to contribute to improved ease of use, productivity, and profitability for users of conventional plasma and oxyfuel cutting processes.
Enhancements in TurboNest 2010 include:
- Hole Slowdowns, which provide improved control over how holes are cut using new process parameters settings. Users can control the feedrate at which small interior profiles are cut based on hole diameter and material thickness. Reducing cutting speeds for holes commonly is used in plasma cutting to eliminate some of the taper/bevel of the hole.
- Pre-Lead Out Ramp-Down, a cutting techniques setting that gives users the ability to reduce feedrate at a specified distance from the beginning of a lead-out. This technique typically is used for plasma cutting on stainless steel to ensure that the part drops free from the rest of the plate.
- Interior Leads Placement, a settings-enabled feature allowing interior leads for holes and slots to be automatically adjusted to begin at the hole's center or along the slot's center line. This allows users to improve hole/slot quality by piercing at the furthest distance from the hole's edges, lessening the chance that slag will splatter onto the cut line.
- Automatic Height Control functionality, for use with cutting machines equipped with an Automatic Height Control (AHC) or Torch Height Control (THC) system, allows users to disable this system in scenarios where there is a risk of torch diving. AHC can be disabled at a specified distance before lead-outs or on holes of a user-defined size.
NestMaster 2010 developments include:
- Single Part Output, which provides users with the ability to create machine-ready NC output for a single part. Convenient output for a single part or group of single parts can be created directly from the part list. A new output setting, Part Home, lets users set the home point to use during single part output.
- Importing Parts, enhanced to allow import of a CAD drawing that contains multiple parts. Users can import the multipart drawing as a single unit or break it up into separate parts for individual nesting.
In addition to these new features, standard features of both products have been expanded. For example, Entity Smoothing and Reduction on CAD import permits users to improve cut quality and reduce NC file size by combining lines and arcs or by converting multiple line segments into a single arc. Also, zooming and panning enhancements make it easier to improve program